The Goi Peace foundation, together with UNESCO, proudly announces the opening of this year’s International Essay Contest for Young People.
With the theme, “My Role as a Citizen of Earth,” this writing tilt aims “to harness the energy, imagination and initiative of the world’s youth in promoting a culture of peace and sustainable development” and “to inspire society to learn from the young minds and to think about how each of us can make a difference in the world.”
Entries will be accepted until June 15, 2014.
The following are the guidelines:
1. Essays may be submitted by anyone up to 25 years old (as of June 15, 2014) in one of the following age categories:
a) Children (ages up to 14)
b) Youth (ages 15 – 25)
2. Essays must be 700 words or less in English, French, Spanish or German; or 1600 characters or less in Japanese, typed or printed.
3. Essays must have a cover page indicating (1) category (Children or Youth) (2) essay title (3) your name (4) address (5) phone number (6) e-mail (7) nationality (8) age as of June 15, 2014 (9) gender (10) school name (if applicable) (11) word count.
Teachers and youth directors may submit a collection of essays from their class or group.
Please enclose a list of participants’ names, ages and the name and contact information of the submitting teacher or director.
* Entries missing any of the above information will not be considered.
4. Entries may be submitted by postal mail or online.
* IMPORTANT: To send your essay online, you must go to the online registration page at http://www.goipeace.or.jp and follow the required steps.
5. Essays must be original and unpublished.
6. Essays must be written by one person. Co-authored essays are not accepted.
7. Copyright of the essays entered will be assigned to the organizers.
Winners will be announced in November 2014. They will get the following prizes:
Entries may be sent to:
International Essay Contest
c/o The Goi Peace Foundation
1-4-5 Hirakawacho, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo 102-0093 Japan
OR send online through www.goipeace.or.jp
For online submission, interested youth may go to their website at http://www.goipeace.or.jp/english/activities/programs/1401.html.