Inviting all 16 and above youth poets internationally – if you think you have the passion and the guts to share your literary wisdom to the world, then we encourage to bring out the poet in you!
Poetic Republic Limited launches annual Poetry Competition. Acknowledging the power of artistic expression through rhymes and verses, participants are guaranteed to both inspire and be inspired in an unconventional approach.
Deadline of entries is on 30 April 2014, midnight (UK time).
The cost is £7.00 per entry. We only accept debit card payments, credit card payments or payments from a PayPal account. All cards will be debited in UK pounds sterling. Once entry has been made, our services begin immediately and we are unable to offer a subsequent refund.
Procedures for Entry:
- Participation is anonymous. Publication may be under an entrant’s real name or under a pseudonym. Prizes can only be awarded to a “real person”.
- Entries must be in English. Entries may be on any subject. Entries must not exceed 42 lines (not including title or blank lines). The name of the writer or any other identifying marks must not appear on the submitted entry. Entries may be edited up to the final deadline for the submission of entries. Entries should not be obscene, offensive, defamatory or libelous.
- Entries must be entirely the work of the entrant and must never have been published, self-published or have won a prize in any other competition prior to the announcement of the winners and publication of the competition eBook (October 2014). Work that has appeared in online writing forums will not normally be considered to have been published.
- There is no restriction on the number of entries that any one competitor may submit.
- Confirmation of entries will be emailed at the time of submission.
- Entries will be made available (anonymously) to other entrants for the purposes of judging.
Guidelines for Judging:
- The entries will be judged anonymously by the competition entrants.
- By entry, the entrant agrees to participate in the judging process. Poems will be withheld from the final shortlist of 12 poems (and the eBook) where the entrant hasn’t participated in the earlier rounds.
- Entrants considered to have cheated or been negligent in their judging will be disqualified, even if they haven’t benefited from this.
- The judging will take place in the two months following the closure of the Competition.
- Judging will comprise 3 rounds. In each round, entrants will be given 12 entries to judge. From these, they will choose their top 4 entries, rank them in order of preference and make a short comment against each choice.
- There will be an option to make additional comments against poems that have not been ranked.
- In round 1, all entries will be included. Allocation of the entries will be made on a systematic basis. Entrants will not judge their own work. All entrants will judge. 20% of entries will move into round 2. Entrants will not know which entries have advanced to round 2.
- Round 2 will follow the same format as round 1. All entrants will judge. Round 2 will produce a final shortlist of 12 entries that will pass into round 3.
- In Round 3 all entrants (including the shortlisted entrants) are free to choose whether they participate in the judging. Shortlisted entrants will be unable to rate their own poems.
- Entrants will be notified by email as each judging round opens.
- In rounds 1 and 2 entrants will have the option to judge two further blocks of 12 poems.
- Entrants will receive an email confirmation of their judging choices.
- At the time of entry, entrants should have a reasonable expectation that they will be in a position to take part in the judging. If an entrant is unable to take part in the judging (due to unforeseen circumstances) simply drop us an email (in advance) via the contact page.
- Poetic Republic maintains a full audit trail of all judging choices made by participants. This information is used to monitor and maximise the integrity of the judging process and will remain confidential however Poetic Republic may publish anonymous statistics thereon.
- The organisers reserve the right to modify the above mechanics if it becomes apparent that doing so would more appropriately reflect the spirit of the Competition.
- The organisers will not enter into any correspondence about the results.
- An indicative timetable for the judging (subject to change) is:
- Round 1
- Tuesday 6th May to Sunday 18th May
- Round 2
- Tuesday 20th May to Sunday 1st June
- Round 3
- Tuesday 10th June to Sunday 22nd June
- Comments on participant’s own poems made available – Tuesday 24th June.
- Publication of eBook and announcement of winner(s) –October 2014
- For complete details about commenting system, proceed here.
Prizes from the competition:
- Single poem prize £2,000
- Portfolio prize (two poems) £1,000
- The two prizes may be awarded to the same person. Qualification for the portfolio prize requires two or more entries. Where more than 2 entries are made the two most highly rated poems will be considered the “portfolio”.
- The prize winners will be announced in October 2014.
- Prizes will not be awarded to the same person in consecutive years.
- The copyright of each entry remains with the author.
- In the case that an entry is selected for publication, by submitting an entry, the Entrant grants a non-exclusive, perpetual, royalty free, worldwide licence to Poetic Republic to publish the entry (and any background information supplied by the entrant) in Poetic Republic anthologies (in any digital or print format) and on the Poetic Republic website.
- By participation in the Competition, the Entrant grants a non-exclusive, perpetual, royalty free, worldwide licence to Poetic Republic to publish any comment (made in the judging process) either in Poetic Republic anthologies (in any digital or print format) or on the Poetic Republic website.
- Comments selected for publication will remain anonymous (unless otherwise agreed with the commentator).
- Poetic Republic accepts no liability to any user of this site or any third party for any damage or loss suffered as a consequence of use of this site.
- Poetic Republic cannot accept responsibility for any damage, loss, injury or disappointment suffered by any entrant entering the Competition. In the event of any technical failure Poetic Republic’s liability will be limited to the entry fee paid.
- The Competition and Rules will be governed by English Law and any disputes will be subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the English courts. As a condition of entering the Competition, entrants must ensure that by doing so, they do not contravene any laws of their own country of residence.
- Poetic Republic reserves the right to amend these Rules where it is deemed necessary to do so or where circumstances are beyond Poetic Republic’s control.
- In the event of any dispute regarding these Rules or any other matter relating to the Competition, the decision of Poetic Republic shall be final and no correspondence or discussion shall be entered into.
- Entry of the Competition implies unqualified acceptance of all the Competition’s Rules.