MAY 2, 2018 – As the day of the SK elections draws nearer, the National Youth Commission would like to urge the candidates to be more acquainted and familiar with the new SK Reform Act of 2015 and its provisions.
The National Youth Commission would like the SK candidates to review the provisions of the SK Reform Act of 2015 or RA 1074 and to be more acquainted with the expected duties and responsibilities of SK leaders, should they be elected.
As stated in RA 1074, these are the duties and responsibilities of the SK officials:
- Section 13: The Sangguniang Kabataan chairperson shall exercise such powers and discharge such duties as follows:(a) Call and preside over all meetings of the Sangguniang Kabataan, and vote in case of a tie, and assemblies of the Katipunan ng Kabataan except when one. (1) of the agenda to be discussed in such assembly involves the disciplinary action against the Sangguniang Kabataan chairperson, in which case, the highest ranking Sangguniang Kabataan member shall preside;(b) Take the lead in the formulation of the Comprehensive Barangay Youth Development Plan and in the preparation and implementation of the Annual Barangay Youth Investment Program;(c) Ensure the implementation of policies, programs and projects as contained in the Annual Barangay Youth Investment Programs, in coordination with the Sangguniang Barangay and the Municipal or City Youth Development Council;(d) Sign all required documents and warrants drawn from the Sangguniang Kabataan funds for all expenditures in the implementation of the Comprehensive Barangay Youth Development Plan and Annual Barangay Youth Investment Program;
(e) Exercise general supervision over the affairs and activities of the Sangguniang Kabataan and the Katipunan ng Kabataan as well as the official conduct of its members;
(f) With the concurrence of the Sangguniang Kabataan, appoint from among the members of the Katipunan ng Kabataan a secretary and a treasurer;
(g) Coordinate with the Sangguniang Barangay and other youth organizations within his or her barangay on youth-related programs and projects that they wish to initiate and implement; and
(h) Exercise such other powers and perform such other duties and functions as may be prescribed by law or ordinance.
- Section 14: The Sangguniang Kabataan secretary shall:(a) Keep all the records of the Katipunan ng Kabataan, including the list of its qualified members, youth policies, studies, research and registry of youth and youth-serving organizations in the barangay, if any;(b) Prepare and keep all the minutes of all assemblies of the Katipunan ng Kabataan and of all the meetings of the Sangguniang Kabataan;(c) Cause the posting, in the barangay bulletin board and in at least three (3) conspicuous places within the jurisdiction of the barangay, and if possible including the use of traditional and nontraditional media, and make available for any person with legal purpose, all resolutions approved by the Sangguniang Kabataan, the annual and end-of-term reports of the programs and projects implemented by the Sangguniang Kabataan, the Comprehensive Barangay Youth Development Plan and Annual Barangay Youth Investment Program and the dissemination of the same to concerned offices, institutions and individuals; and(d) Perform such other duties and discharge such other functions as the Sangguniang Kabataan chairperson may prescribe or direct.
- Section 15: The Sangguniang Kabataan treasurer shall:(a) Take custody of all Sangguniang Kabataan property and funds;(b) Collect and receive contributions, monies, materials, and all other resources intended for the Sangguniang Kabataan and the Katipunan ng Kabataan;(c) Serve as cosignatory in all withdrawals from the Sangguniang Kabataan funds and disburse funds in accordance with the approved annual budget and supplemental budget, as the case may be, of the Sangguniang Kabataan,(d) Certify to the availability of the Sangguniang Kabataan funds whenever necessary;
(e) Submit to the Sangguniang Kabataan and to the Sangguniang Barangay certified and detailed statements of actual income and expenditures at the end of every quarter and the posting of the same in the barangay bulletin board and in at least three (3) conspicuous places within the jurisdiction of the barangay, and if possible including the use of traditional and nontraditional media;
(f) Render report during the regular Katipunan ng Kabataan assembly on the financial status of the Sangguniang Kabataan; and
(g) Perform such other duties and discharge such other functions as the Sangguniang Kabataan chairperson may prescribe or direct.
In addition to this, it is also stated in Section 27 that before assuming office, that the candidates who have been elected will have to undergo mandatory training programs supervised by both the National Youth Commission, and the Department of Interior and Local Government.
The campaign period begins on May 4, 2018 (Friday). Within this period, the candidates should have been able to finalize their platform of governance that they will declare later.
For more inquiries and updates on the SK elections, you may reach NYC through:
- their trunklines: 416-3415; 413-5503; 416-3570
- their email
- their official Facebook page
- their official Twitter account